As a community garden, we are open to all community input! Every person has the potential to share great ideas, experience and advice, even if you have no experience in gardening. If you’ve been thinking about getting involved with the community garden in Tweed, but you’re not quite sure where to start, or how things will run, here are a few ideas to consider.
- Your involvement can be at any level, whether you’re vaguely interested, want to help out occasionally, have an active garden bed, or even offer some of your skills as a volunteer. We have many people working on different levels of involvement according to the time they have available or their trade skills that they may have to offer.
- There will be an annual membership fee of $20-30 to cover our Incorporated status, insurance and some marginal costs.
- We will build a shed bank of tools for gardeners to use and share.
- An onsite compost pile has been created, plus a worm farm.
- Once your plot is allocated you can grow how and what you wish, within sustainable ecological parameters.
- If you wish to grow flowers, herbs, vegies or any combination it is entirely up you and / or to the plot participants if you are sharing. The plot does need to be worked, cared and maintained; if you request, and are allocated, a plot and then don’t use or value it you may need to be asked to show cause.
- We will aim to create a community atmosphere within the Garden group. By networking with other gardeners hopefully we can all learn, bumble along together, share the experience and work.
- There is capacity for creative and novel types of gardens, a substantial neighbouring wall could offer a challenge for inspirational vertical gardens; roof of sheds is available space also
- Some may wish to try an aqua culture and water feature.
- Those with restricted mobility are welcomed and we will aim to accommodate individual needs in planning the back section of the garden and or forming small groups to share plots.
For more information on ways you can get involved (at any level), email us at firstname.lastname@example.org